“You’re a bit awkward, has anyone ever told you that?” As a self-confessed awkward person, I think I can speak on behalf of the group and answer, yes, yes we have all been told this, multiple times. In fact, would you believe me if I told you that we probably already knew this, before you had pointed it out, having lived with ourselves for quite some time now, ha! For all my awkward queens out there, the gag is, your awkwardness can actually be your superpower! I’ll tell you why…
1. Social awkwardness is often associated with being “weird” or “different”. Translation? You’re wonderfully quirky and you know what? Quirky is totally in baby! In all seriousness, being “weird” or “different” works in your favour. It means that you have something about you. This is appealing and intriguing. If you were to put yourself out there (which is easier said than done… I know, trust me Sis), you’d probably find that people would really want to get to know you, to figure you out and find out what you’re all about. You’re not such an open book, people have to put in work and take the time to get to know you.
2. When you are an awkward person, genuine friendships mean a lot to you. For a socially awkward person, making friends is not always an easy task. It can be a bit of a stressful ordeal. Sometimes, you will get written off as being “different” or “strange” before you’ve even been given the chance to show how strange and different you really are, ha! Those that actually take the time to get to know you and to understand you, they are keepers and real ones. These kinds of friends will love you unconditionally, quirks and all!
3. Socially awkward people are often very observant. We may not always be the loudest in the room but that doesn’t mean we are not listening or paying attention. Being such inward people, we often speak because we feel we have something of value to say and not just to be heard. We’re great listeners too!
4. We have rad sense of humours! Sure, our humour can be a bit random and “out there”, but we’re pretty witty! Our jokes are often well thought out and kind of clever (tooting the horn for all the awkward girls out there*toot, toot*).
5. According to science “You Smart!”. A recent finding in psychology showed that those deemed “socially awkward” often demonstrate “striking talent”, a term used by psychologists to describe someone who is able to excel tremendously in a specific area. We’re able to get lost in learning new skills and hobbies until we can master them. This may be the reason that awkwardness is sometimes associated with nerdiness. I mean, if it is, I’ll take it…nerdiness is sexiness, babe.
So next time someone tells you that you’re awkward, own it Sis! Being awkward makes you unique, intriguing and pretty darn cool!
Copyright © 2019 We Do Wellness Group – All rights reserved